Monday, January 14, 2013

Slow Cookin' Chicken


A couple weeks ago I shared that I recently purchased my first ever slow cooker.  Well this weekend I pulled it out again when we had some friends over- this time making Jerk Chicken. 
I got the recipe from a cookbook my husband bought me for Christmas- as encouragement to keep up the slow cookin'!
It is the America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution.  I must admit it is not my favorite cookbook because several of the recipes require extra steps out of the slow cooker- including the one I am sharing with you.  But it does have some delicious recipes worth trying.
The Jerk Chicken recipe was an absolute hit with all of our friends- and everyone wanted the recipe.  I think it is the broiling at the end of the cook time to crisp up the chicken that makes it even better. 
JERK CHICKEN
serves 4-6  cooking time 4-6 hours on low

8 scallions, coarse chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 habanero chiles, stemmed and seeded (I used only 1)
1 inch fresh peeled ginger
2 T molasses
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 T dried thyme
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (split breasts, thighs, and/or drumsticks)
vegetable spray
lime wedges for serving

1. Puree scallions, oil, habaneros, ginger, molasses, garlic, thyme, allspice, and salt in food processor until smooth.  Transfer 1/2 of mixture to slow cooker: reserve remaining mixture separately

2. Add chicken to slow cooker and coat evenly with scallion mixture.  Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours.  (mine took only 4-4 1/2 hrs).

3. Position oven rack 10 inches from broiler element and heat broiler.  Place wire rack in aluminum foil lined rimmed baking sheet and coat with vegetable oil spray.  Transfer chicken, skin side down, to prepared baking sheet; discard braising liquid.

4. Brush chicken with half of reserved scallion mixture and broil until lightly charred and crisp, 10-15 minutes.  Flip chicken over, brush with remaining scallion mixture, and continue to broil until lightly charred and crisp on second side, 5 to 10 minutes longer.  Serve with lime wedges. 


1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law swears by this book, and now that she's living with us, I swear by it too. She cooked a whole chicken in there and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete