Thursday, September 27, 2012

Going Bananas

One of my favorite little girl memories was having sleepovers with my friends.  I had one friend whose house was always so much fun to stay over at.  They had an old trunk in the garage with lots of crazy clothes that we would play dress up with, and the family always watched movies with big bowls of homemade, stovetop popcorn.  So good! 
And, if I was lucky the older sisters would make us frozen bananas!  
To this day, I can't eat a frozen banana without thinking of this great family. 

And they are soooo delicious!  I like to think of them as sort of a healthy desert because it is a banana, afterall! 
I remember them to be really easy to make... I am going to give it a shot this weekend. 
Wish me luck! 
 
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 6 popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
  • 2 bananas, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Directions

  1. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of gently simmering water. Stir just until melted.
  2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Insert a popsicle stick in one end of each banana piece. Dip banana, one piece at a time, in chocolate, spooning on additional chocolate to cover.
Sprinkle each banana with peanuts, and set on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, 20 minutes, or up to 3 days.
* recipe from Martha Stewart
Martha says to use peanuts as a topping, but I think walnuts, coconut, sprinkles, mini Reeses, just about anything, would be good on top.  And wouldn't they be a great healthy-ish Halloween desert?!  Orange sprinkles on top! Voila! 

2 comments:

  1. those better be in your freezer friday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look so good! I have made them before and they really are delicious. I am new to your blog and have been having fun reading over your posts. It is hard to believe that you all have already gotten snow!!

    ReplyDelete