Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Review: Martin's Big Words

Martin's Big Words
In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I want to share one of my all time favorite children's books- the multi-award winning Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by Doreen Rappaport. I always read this book to my students and it never failed to amaze me that even the most chatty of kids would quiet down to listen to the words. It is moving and inspirational and definitely thought provoking. I always loved the conversations we would have following the story. To really top it off, the illustrations are beautiful- and we all know that good pictures captivate kids (and adults). This book is a must-have for a family library. (If you want to earn extra stars- gift one to your favorite teacher!)

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely get this book, but I've gotta say my fav is the movie, "Our Friend, Martin" which features part cartoon, part real clips. It is awesome!! Happy MLK Day (belated!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely look into that- I'm all about an educational movie :)

    ReplyDelete